Monday, June 25, 2007

Open Library

When I designed the Library buildings I was thinking of very open structures that had permeable membranes. In a recent visit with Jane Blumenthal, we found that she has a desire to open up the structures even further than this. She even talked about having the Library in the woods or on a grassy plain. I thought this was so fantastic, because these are spaces that I'm taking inspiration from.
While they are about as open as they can be at this point physically, they still have a lot of visual closure. So, in trying to chop-the-top I ran into a few other design ideas. I think this solution is more elegant than the first, the levels would still be scalloped and alternating, and the top floor is completely open, as requested.

(We're mainly looking at the structure at the top right.)
I'd love to hear feedback.

1 comment:

Jane Blumenthal said...

I like the open top. And I'm glad you mentioned that the floors are still scalloped and alternating. That's a feature I liked in the earlier version, and I think adds to the openness.