Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Medical Education in Second Life

I was recently gathering together a few links about education and medical communities in Second Life, and I thought I'd put them up here on the Wolverine Island blog. I think they provide some good reminders and examples of what to do and what not to do.

-From the authority (wikipedia):Education in Second Life
-Someone claims that these are the "Top 10: Virtual Medical Sites in Second Life". Just ignore Number 9.
-The New Media Consortium has probably the best campus in Second Life:NMC(but I still have my criticisms. We'll save that for another post.)
-cheesey but informative videos with lots of techno music (or "machinimas"): O.U., NMC, TXSTATE, and more.

But I have yet to see anyone really utilize the possibilities that SecondLife provides for training simulations. I think this is one thing that Wolverine Island could be really good at; training scenarios that follow contingency trees of activity = hours fun and excellent comprehension.

2 comments:

Hunscher said...

Is the Ann Myers Medical Center an example of someone else doing training simulations in SL? It was mentioned in one of the links you gave and looks like they either are doing it or are planning on doing it - not clear which.

chrislandau said...

I think it has already been implemented. Did it sound especially promising to you? We can look into it further.